a Coopers in Kazakhstan: Nov 11 - Ready to Leave Uralsk

Friday, November 11, 2005

Nov 11 - Ready to Leave Uralsk

This is my last blog from Uralsk - I was going to post it last night, but we had some snow flakes which then turned to rain. I tool my last visit to the local shops and bought some ice cream for Alex and Mary. Okay, so it’s freezing. So what? Did you know Russia has the highest consumption of ice cream? We have many good memories from this place.

Alex and I visited the Bazaar today – it’s like a giant outdoor flea market, only they sell new stuff. There were very nice clothes, lots of shoes, cheap knockoff toys, jewelry, and even food. I was looking for a cool Russian or Kazak hat to keep my head warm, but apparently no one in the country has a head as large as mine (Mary says the same goes for my mouth). The large and extra large hats were even a bit tight on Alex.


Alex with a Mother-in-Law Wannabe – seriously! This is the Baby House Director. I couldn’t tell if she was really serious, but the interpreter explained to me that there was some sort of tradition in which I had to find Alex a future wife from Kazakhstan. Apparently the Director has a young daughter and thinks Alex is a good match. Every time she’s around Alex she keeps commenting on how beautiful he is and clucks all about him. She even looks like she wants to pinch his cheek.


The benefits of older children – here’s Alex helping feed Zarina.

Zarina in her first dress!!! Just wait until she has longer hair – Mary plans to give her all sorts of pig tails, Princess Leia buns, etc.

Speaking of Mary, I must relay this story – when we first got here, I was doing the dishes. To make sure the utensils stay clean in the rack, we put them with the eating end up. Now, if you don’t know Mary, she’s a bit of a perfectionist and in the kitchen it’s her way or the highway. Apparently I wasn’t doing something the right way (go figure) and she walks over and pushes me out of the way, “Let me show you how to so this.” I looked over and blanched – “Mary what about the fork sticking in your hand?! Doesn’t that hurt?” When she had reached in, she had skewered herself on a fork (it was way in there). She looked down and without changing her expression or making any untoward noises, scoffed and said “So? I’ve given birth.” If I didn’t already know it, I would have found out I married Super Woman (now Super Mom x2).



Do you see something wrong with this picture? Don’t ask me how or why.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home