a Coopers in Kazakhstan: Nov 7 - The Big Day in Court

Monday, November 07, 2005

Nov 7 - The Big Day in Court

Wow! We did it. Larry gave a beautiful speech (Olga even said so). Unfortunately, my eyes started to tear up and drain into my sinuses so I started to sniffle loudly through it all. The Prosecutor was reading a paperback book through most of the proceedings and when it came to the end when he was to recommend his decision he recommended that immediate execution be denied. He did this to all of the WPA familes and from previous blogs I kind of expected it. Still, I was hoping he would be on our side. Thankfully, the Judge ignored him and granted our application to adopt Zarina and our petition for immediate excecution. Well, when that happened the flood gates opened and I started to bawl like a baby. Okay, I’m embarrassed now. The Baby House Director came up and gave me a hug although it looked like she wanted to slap me and say “Snap out of it Woman!” We were so excited, we ran out of the building and forgot to take pictures. Alex sang “I got a Baby Sister. I got a Baby Sister” all the way back to the apartment and Igor laughed and laughed.

Since our court date was so late in the day we won’t pick up Zarina until tomorrow so Lillian had the great idea that we all have dinner at the Almaty resturaunt with Olga, Masha, Alia, Igor, Misha and Filipych. Misha is the Brown’s driver and Filipych was the Burnett’s driver. Alex and Filipych have a special relationship. Every time Filipych sees Alex he yells “Druk!”, which means friends or pals, and they give each other a big hug. It is very touching and funny at the same time. Unfortunately, Phillipich could not make it but everyone else was there and we had a great time. Alia gave the most beautiful toast where she said that we have made a mark on her heart and that she will always remember us. Every one here are such great and special people. Finally, my sweet Alex stood up and gave a toast. He stood up and held his juice glass high and said how he loved Uralsk and made many friends here. I am so very proud of him and so glad we brought him with us to experience this special time.


Dinner at the Almaty Restaurant again ! Olga is the lady in the center of the photo and Alia is to her right.



Enjoying Dinner! That's Craig with still another beer - I think it was called Shimshenk and Larry hopes it is available in the US.


Here's Olga giving her speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home